New Letters in Soldier Studies Database

Written on:June 7, 2012
Add One

Private Miles K. Lewis was born in Sharon, Litchfield County, Connecticut. He left home at 15 and moved to Dutchess County, New York, the town of Amenia. He enlisted into the 150th Regiment of New York Volunteers (Infantry). He enlisted as a Private on September 11, 1862 in Company A and server over three years. In this letter he is 2 miles from the center of Atlanta, Monday, July 25th, 1864. This is an excellent letter for anyone interested in Sherman’s Army as they approach the outer reaches of Atlanta.

Dear Parents,
Here we are on the outskirts of the City. The rebs are strongly fortified here and have got lots of artillery and are using it to on the 23d Sherman sent in word to surrender or he would shell the city they send word back to shell away so they commenced about 4 o clock p.m. and it has been a constant roar of artillery ever since both night and day. There is a battery (6 guns) of 20 pd. Parrotts about 40 rods from where I now lay they keep throwing shell over into it – every minute they are during different length fuse from 26 second to 33 second fuse then there is another battery of the same sort off to our left that is shelling to, our Reg lay in the front line of battle right under the enemies guns. The revs have got a fort about 150 rods from our Reg. and they keep throwing solid shot and shell into our lines but our boys are strongly fortified. CONTINUE…

Sergeant George. H. Smith, 84th Regiment, Co. B Pennsylvania Volunteers. Writes Hancock, Maryland after the Battle of Hancock and offers some very nice battle details:

Dear Friend,
I take this opportunity to inform you that I am well and hope that these few lines may find you well. I will tell you now how we are getting along. The eighty fourth left Camp Curtin the 31 of December and went to Hagerstown that night. There we slept in the cars til morning. We left there about noon for Hancock. We marched about fifteen miles that afternoon. There we stopped at a place called Clearspring. We encamped in a field for the night. There every man took his blanket and laid on the ground. There we slept til morning. Then we made some coffee and drunk coffee and ate crackers and pork for breakfast. Then we started for Hancock which is about 16 miles. When we got there they put our company in a new brick house. It is owned by a rebel. Next morning we got our rifles. CONTINUE…

Private Milton Crawford of the 21st Pennsylvania Cavalry writes from Stroudsburg, PA on Monday, November 21st, 1864. He is giving his family an update:

Dear Parents
This morning I came to the conclusion to drop you a few lines. we left Janesville wednesday morning and got to this place on Thursday evenng we had some dreadful roads it had snowed the day before we started and froze that the horses could scarcely get along. This is nicer country than about Pottsville there is some fine farms we are encamped in the fairground have good quarters for our horses but the men almost freeze the house is so large that a dozen stoves would not keep it warm I think we will get better quarters in a day or so. CONTINUE…

Your Ad Here!
Your Ad Here!

Leave a Comment