Letter from Twining, Henry H.

Soldier: Twining, Henry H.
Allegiance: Union
Unit/Service Branch: 11th Infantry
Home State: Wisconsin
Date Written: Monday, July 28th, 1862
Location: Helena, Arkansas
Correspondence Type: Letter
Subjects: Battlefield, Camp Life, Combat Description, Commanders, Comrades, Enemy, Family, Secesh, Sickness, Suffering
Ever Remembered Friends : Ju1ie, Carrie, & Hattie:

It is with great pleasure I sit down to inform you of the receipt of your kind and welcome letters of Jun. 17th and was very glad to hear from you for I had not heard from home in a long time. I received the letters the 18th of July. My health is quite good now. I got through with my sickness sad was on duty the 7th of Ju1 and with a little (word impossible to decipher) have been in pretty good health. Aaron has been sick ever since the 1st of June. Re seems to be some better now. I am going to see the Brigade Surgeon today to see if I cant get a discharge for him. Alphonso is pretty sick. he is in the Hospital. Nelson Roach is pretty sick. He stays in his Tent yet. Irwin poor fellow is dead. He died July 6th in an Ambulance while on the march. He was buried 6 miles from White River, 100 miles south of Jackson Point. His things have all been sent to his Mother. I tell you there is a good deal of sickness here now. Our Camp is lower then the River and it is protected from the River by a levy and we have to use the River water and it is all muddy end it is not as good as the Wisconsin Slew (slough) water. I would be ashamed to wash in such poor muddy water in Wisconsin but we have to use that or none. I would give a V(? - five dollars?) to have a drink from Fathers Well but we find living at home and living where night overtakes you is two different things. Well I must tell you how I spent the 4th. Well I was up at 12 ready to start at 2 a.m. and a scant all of Co. C that was able to go went. Well at daybreak we found we were near a Sec.sh Camp. So we started for it, cam. on their Pickets at 7 a.m., shot one, took 3 prisoners, then we went on for Camp but to our regret when we got there we found they have all left end crossed the river but we found 50 of the lads in washing in the River end they fired a shell in amongst them killing 3 and scattering the rest into the woods and Came without any clothing and we got all their Close (clothe) and 40 stands of arms, 3,000 lbs. of bacon and 1,000 of surgar and Molasses and then we had to double quick for 4 miles through the woods and Cane brake after 7 teams which had gone in them. When we came to the brake it looked pretty dubious for when we were running through them, once an a while one would fly back and whack a feller on the head or shins. Well we came up to the teams loaded with beacon and took them back to the river. Then it was sundown and we had nothing to eat and some of the boys thought they could not have anything to eat but they got some Meet wet it and baked it in an old tin Then I took a pail and went half mile and got some Honey to eat on it so we had a good supper and lay down at 11 (o’clock) on the ground without any blanket or Coat to cover up with but had a good sleep and got up at sunrise and went back to Camp, 12 miles in the forenoon, an awful hot day. It like to have killed all of us, a prett hard time. How did you enjoy yourselves. A part of our Regt. was in a pretty hard fight on the 7th. The colonel and the adjutant with Companies D,I,H, and G. They faught 2 hours in the middle of the day then the Rebels were routed and drove off the field. We had 4 men killed 45 wounded. Col. Harris concluded there were some 200 Rebells killed and wounded. 150 were buried in the field. I passed Over the field 2 hours after the battle and I tell you it looked hard to see the dead men on the field. We had to walk over them They were all covered with dust so that I could hardly tell whether they were Negroes or white men. There were 64 horses shot on the field. Our wounded have all been sent to St. Louis. COl. Harris has gone home. It was 10 months ago yesterday since I was mustered in the U.S.Service, but it does not seem any more than 2 but time passes fast. We drew new clothes on the 23rd and got our pay for 2 months service on the 25th, $26, and I have sent $20 home making $90 that I have sent to Father and have $8 left which I shall keep to have with me to use if needed. I have not anything more to write this time. Excuse this short letter and write a long one in answer. My best respects to all who may enquire from your friend

H.H. Twining
Co. C 11th Regt.

Write soon and often